Pages

Monday, October 29, 2007

Management or Technical???

“Should one need a course to develop or shape his own traits? Management is a born trait. Why pour money just to realize the potential in you?"-were my arguments before I took up (Distance)MBA with ICFAI.Graduates today want to do MBA, but little do they know “why”. The attractive pay packages? But that’s just a direct function of the current economy. I was one of those persons who hated MBA to the core. There were times when my parents showed an MBA proposal, I would just reject saying …”mmm...I don’t like MBA”.That speaks of the extent to which I was against MBA.Then, what made me change now?

These were the questions that changed my mind:
->How many years have I been in the IT field with just a Bachelor’s degree in Electronics and Communication?
->Have I done justice to my (BE) specialization?
->At this point of time, if I want to take up Masters, would I go with my Bachelor’s specialization or my career expertise?
->Would my personal life allow me to take up an MS (abroad) in the Technical expertise I am looking for with my career?
->Is there any specific Masters degree that would add value to my current work?
->Would I want to take up TCP(Technical Career Path) or Management?
->To what point on the Technical ladder is the growth not stunted?

Similar questions would have provoked people to take up Management studies.

The objective of MBA is to bring out the manager in you. Leadership skills, communication skills, negotiation skills are inherent in everyone and are the qualities portrayed in everyday’s activity; but are seen to remain dormant in few cases. Yes, people can and do become Managers without MBA.A Manager promotion can guarantee you career success , but does not guarantee you the performance expected of your role.MBA comes to light where there is a need and necessity to map your role with your traits. Though the traits are in-built, it’s the Management program that shapes you to perform your role better. Unlike other academics, MBA programs are meant to be vocational i.e., implement on the fly what is being learnt. That is precisely the reason Distance Learning, of late, has become the talk of the day with MBA.MBA is just not about Management. It’s all about managing self. I was really surprised to study such vivid topics as a part of my program which makes sense to everyday living. Time management, interpersonal skills, art of negotiation, managing stress are the qualities that are needed to have a peaceful living, leave alone a Manager’s post.

The trend for MBA has increased due to several other reasons. Most people opt for MBA for the following reasons:
->To possess a generic Masters degree that would support them change their domain anytime
->To demand for better packages
->To take a holistic approach, developing a diversity of experiences to fit in any place
->To develop self-confidence in accepting challenging assignments
->To set and meet personal and corporate targets
->Not to get married to the IT field which is so shaky

No longer would I speak against MBA or MBA guys ;)

No comments: