Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

This isnt my kind of post. I would generally not prefer showing my frustration on paper and let readers carry. But if this blog post could help me get away with my disturbance and share my feelings/thoughts with people who land on my blog, I can’t be more happy.

My ears tuned to the news of a college kid's suicide this morning, a boy who had grown up in front of my eyes. Such incidents have become so familiar these days that many of us have lost our senses and emotions to news of this kind. Finding it difficult to gulp the news and the several odd reasons I could trace behind it, I decided to scribe it down here.

There is this boy who has the reputation that goes behind any good student. Circumstances or fate prevails over letting the boy not score as much as he had marked for himself. Is this a reason to end life? Tell me, is this why we educate kids? Even when he fell short of his expectations, he wasn’t the kind to be termed “not up to snuff” . All that his home now houses is his traumatized parents lamenting to figure out the boy’s depression behind this sudden decision.

A kid who cannot face his marks/friends/parents/society gets guts to face death? Call it immaturity or mellowness? Are the movies and media to be blamed, which portray suicide as an easy solution to many problems and death being embraced as an easy friend. My hand trembles when I type the very word suicide, how can a little boy cuddle it?

We all agree that kids of these days are more intelligent, more rationale and have all that is good for the several neurons officing in the brain. Aren’t we seeing these most intelligent brains searching for rapid escape from life backing on some trivial competition factor?

If I sit back and think,

1- It is the feeling of worthlessness that leads to depression and depression to such scary end. Teach the child to seek help when he is not feeling good emotionally. Diminishing into depression could have various reasons, but the child isn’t to be blamed. It is the mental frame at that particular hour and the child must be given hope that he isn’t at slip and that things would get better.
2- Teach kids the art of socializing for it is more likely that a child opens up and shares its apprehensions when he moves with people.
3- Schools that implant the concept of competition should infuse in kids a mind to accept failure too.
4- Parents should give time to the little brains to digest knowledge. Not all brains are manufactured in the same machine.
5- Satisfying the society shouldn’t be the thing topping the list, one should know to LIVE for SELF with his knowledge/capabilities and talent and not get hassled.
6- Schools must impart philosophical training on the significance of life.
7- Parents must teach kids to love life and not adore competition.
8- Be a friend to your kid when you think he needs one and when he is low. Be around with him. Take him out, shower more love.
9- Give spiritual education. Spirituality is not about running around temples and seeking God. It is about knowing life, its value and to live one.

It doesn’t make me feel good to bullet down points when a family is under such suffering and dismay. I started keying in only because I, a stranger couldn’t admit the fright. All I wish to share with the readers who hit this post is "Death is not a way to escape from the confusion of life. Everyone has a right to life, but not to end it. Taking life away could give one relief, but he will remain a hitch to each one of his people for their entirety. Running away is never an escape. It’s a bigger trap. Let the end product of academic competition not be adolescent suicide"

Discussions on this should lead to light and not churn up heat. Hope this post lets me and the readers extract some virtue however trivial it is.

No comments: