Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

No time, no patience and no time for patience!


This morning I saw a little boy with his father on his way to school. The most simple word that can be used to describe the scene would still look complicated in front of the simple, unassuming sight that I saw. The father was taking his boy on a 2-wheeler, I cannot name the vehicle. It seemed smaller than a luna, resembled a bicycle but was motor driven. In the middle of the road the vehicle had a break-down. Neither the father nor the little boy showed any sigh of frustration. Instead he got down and started pushing his motor-driven-cycle with the boy still sitting on it. The boy seemed to enjoy this more than when the father ran(rode) the vehicle. The smile on the boy's face sought a smile from the father. They reflected a low-economy lot, but the smiles on their faces were worth a million.
Well, I am not mincing words to articulate what I saw. This exactly is the description of what my retina captured. How many working fathers today have time and patience with their kids like the one I did see?

With money, sophistication, hyped life styles where do we take life simple? We see many parents growing wild waiting for their kids' school bus if it doesn’t come on time. Don’t we lose patience while waiting for our office cab? We have no patience at work, no patience back at home, no time for self, absolutely no time for others.

Over the space of a decade, and across many work-styles and workplaces, no matter how many time-saving tools have come up, people just keep getting busier.  No time for even things we like doing. You wish to pick a gift for your best friend; though you like shopping and you would love to hand-pick the special gift for your special friend, you end up shopping online. After a long day at work, people have no time for self and no patience for family. Even a little boy waiting for his parents to be back from office gets the same treatment. No interest to cook the food we like and savour it; no mind on the things that once were very close to our hearts; no care towards our own health; no time to spare; no time, no patience and no time for patience! Where is this generation heading????

Adding to the post....


One morning

I wish, one morning, the chirping birds wake me
"It’s always me" - yells the alarm bee

I wish, the silvery sun peeps thro the silent window, wish me a happy morning
The screeching cabs across the road sound their horn never fading

I wish, one morning, I wake up to a no-agenda day
The mobile phone beeps a long "TO DO" list in sleep as I still lay

I wish, one morning, the coffee aroma pokes my nostrils while I am still asleep
Lo! The dry coffee machine lies asleep till I fill it with water deep

I wish, one day, just one morning I lead a life unhurried
Tension, anxiety, work, commotion - all masked!!!
Will I get my “one morning”?

Every “you” will wish for an unhurried life away from today’s race. Isn’t it? Am sure you will be able to relate to it!

3 comments:

Mansi said...

No time for patience - very well put.. :)

Jayashree said...

I've learnt to do many things at a time in the past 2 months.. I try to finish up the work (home and office) as quickly as possible so that I get time at the end.

But the strange thing is, even if I get time for myself, an entire day or so, I've forgotten which channel I like to see ( so I end up seeing tom and jerry again :)) I've forgotten if I really like to read newspapers or novels. I've forgotten how to spend time with myself.

The race has changed many things permanently. Now I don't know if I like it or hate it. Though I've not stopped cribbing. Possibly I've started accepting it.

Revathi said...

@Jayashree : I did write this post keeping in mind so many of us who would, at point of time and in space have felt so. Well I agree with you, the reason for change is mostly because priorities change with time and we tend to become a slave to it, thats right too! and in the process forget our own likes and dislikes! Maybe its just a balance and most of us fail at it.